1/2/10

Answer: Oregon Place Names

Great Seal of the State of OregonImage via Wikipedia
Earlier I posed a puzzler: can you name two or more towns in Oregon that have two pairs of letters?  As an example I named "Scappoose," which has double-p and double-o.

So, according to this list some other towns in Oregon that meet the criteria are: Tillamook, McMinnville, Bonneville, Cherryville and Happy Valley.  Contrary to my hunch, most of those are not of Native American origin, but more likely have French roots.

The second part of the question was whether there's a town in Oregon that has three sets of double letters?  The answer is: yes.  The town of Lookingglass near Roseburg has three pairs of letters in its name.


View Larger Map
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

1 comment:

  1. I am interested in knowing what the native people called Odell Lake in central Oregon. Can anyone help me with this research?

    ReplyDelete