5/18/08

Being a Locavore

City of PortlandImage via Wikipedia I went to the kids' school environmental fair last week. One group of students gave a presentation on being a "locavore." They said that was someone who ate food that was produced locally. These days being a locavore doesn't just help the environment, but also your wallet, since the high price of gas is raising the price of everything that has to be shipped to the grocery store. And one great way to eat locally and promote the local economy at the same time is to visit a farmers' market.
In the Portland area it seems like there's a farmers' market for almost every day of the week:


  • Saturday - When I remember, I like to go to the Hollywood Farmers' Market. It runs from 8am - 1pm, so it's nice to wander over there around lunch time, get something to eat and then pick up some locally grown greens & veggies for dinner.

  • Sunday - The Hillsdale Farmers' Market has a stall that sells brick oven bagels. Yum!

  • Monday - I guess is a day of rest. But it's Miser Monday at Lucky Lab, so drink some great locally brewed beer!

  • Tuesday - I've never been to the Lloyd Farmers Market, but it looks like fun.

  • Wednesday - After work, especially when I'm riding my bike, I like to stop at the Moreland Farmers Market. Our family friend Laura Wendel manages this market.

  • Thursday - The Portland Farmers Market Eastbank is also on my way home from work. I can stop and get some good fruit and listen to music.

  • Friday - Ok, no marketing on Friday. Instead, enjoy some more local beer at happy hour at Hopworks Urban Brewery.



Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments:

Post a Comment